Monday, September 24, 2007

Mentor Contacts

Conversations:

Date: 8/05/07
Question: Introduction to mentor.
Method: Face to face contact
Answers/Conclusions: On this date, I met an individual named Timothy Morgan, who I found to be a major in computer sciences. I informed him of my senior project and he seemed eager to learn more, since he had never heard of a high school student with such high school. I later asked if he would be willing to provide farther assistance via E-mail contact, to which he promptly agreed.

Date: 8/23/07
Question: General question about mentor’s knowledge of computer languages.
Method: E-mail contact.
Answer/Conclusions: My mentor described his familiarity with the C++ Language. He informed me of its widespread use in various fields, and due to its pliability would be ideal for video game design.

Date: 8/25/07
Question: I asked my mentor to recommend some research material on the C++ Language.
Method: E-mail contact.
Answer/Conclusions: I was presented with a series of books, including. This allowed me to go to the library in order to gather these materials, to gain some basis from which I could successfully create a computer program.

Date: 8/31/07
Question: What is the “Hello, World!” program?
Method: Email Contact
Answer/Conclusion: The “Hello, World!” program is a basic C/C++ exercise that one can complete to form a basic understanding of the language. It creates a window in your operating system that displays the text, “Hello, World!”. Since windows are the basic vessels of a program, this simple exercise will familiarize the user with the process. It is performed with the following string of code:

#include main()
{cout << "Hello World!"; return 0;}
Date: 10/14/07
Question: On this day, I asked about the best compilers that could be used to code in C++.
Method: E-mail
Answer/Conclusion: My mentor responded by providing me with several programs, including:
➢ Microsoft Visual C++
➢ Bloodshed Dev C++
➢ Borland C++
➢ Paradigm C++

Of the above choices, the best are Microsoft and Bloodshed, since both programs can be obtained for no cost.

Date: 10/20/07
Question: What alternate programming languages can be used along with C++
Method: E-mail
Answer/Conclusion: My mentor recommended a myriad of programs including Java and Flash.

No comments: